POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Black Mesa : Re: Black Mesa Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:29:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Black Mesa
From: waggy
Date: 21 Sep 2012 22:50:00
Message: <web.505d26ca40b03f359726a3c10@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> On 9/15/2012 13:57, Warp wrote:
> > More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Mesa_%28video_game%29
>
> And BTW, it's released, and donation-ware.
>
> http://release.blackmesasource.com/
>
> Check out the "download now" torrent bit. I haven't installed it, but I'm
> told by those who do that you basically run the installer and you're good to
> go, without having to worry about whether you already have Steam or any
> other games with the same engine or anything like that.

That wasn't what I found. After (finally) finding a mirror that actually
provided it, I downloaded and installed (accepting the defaults) the Black Mesa
mod onto a brand-new Win7 notebook and afterward could not find anything
resembling an executable.

When I then attempted to install Steam, it would not, since its default
directory was not empty. The Black Mesa installation had already put a directory
with its stuff into it.

So, I think a proper installation procedure might be as follows.

1) Download and install Steam, and register with it during installation. (This
is free, and it does not seem to be necessary to validate the required email
address for this to work.)

2) Download and install the Black Mesa mod.

3) Run the Steam executable, let it install the Source SDK 2007, then run Black
Mesa.

Also, OP: thank you very much for posting this. I bought this notebook for my
SO, and wanted to verify that it can run modern games without difficulty (even
if it heats the house while doing so). Color me impressed, by both this game and
the new 'puter. I'd never even tried to play an FPS game until now.