POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Limbo : Re: Limbo Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:19:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Limbo
From: Stephen
Date: 19 Sep 2012 08:55:01
Message: <web.5059bfc438fd0cf5f2eb76540@news.povray.org>
> On 17/09/2012 04:52 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> > I suggested contract work before, and I'll suggest it again.  It's a way
> > to get the bills paid.
>
> I don't get that.
>
> Currently, I am unemployed, which is a problem. It means I have to waste
> endless hours of my life vainly searching for employment. But
> eventually, I will [hopefully] find a job, at which point I no longer
> have that particular problem.

This is the 21st Century going on the 18th Century. You may have to wait until

situation going away soon. (I hope that it does, though)

> "Contact works" basically means "being /permanently/ unemployed". It
> means you spend two or three weeks per year getting paid, and the rest
> of the entire year desperately looking for your next contact. There's no
> way I could deal with that level of stress. (Not to mention the extreme
> financial problems...) I really don't get why anybody would voluntarily
> work that way.

As usual you express opinions that are based in a reality of your own.
I have been contracting for almost twenty years. True I have had periods when I
found it hard to get a suitable contract but the pay rate for contractors is

about a month before my contract is due to expire before I start looking. Any
earlier than that and your notice period is too long for an employer to wait.

there is little real job security and I can decide to take two or three months
off if I feel like it.
But if you want job security why not try the civil service. Ours have enough IT
blunders to need decent staff.