POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Piles of things (with Bullet Physics Playground) : Re: Piles of things (with Bullet Physics Playground) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:27:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Piles of things (with Bullet Physics Playground)
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 17 Sep 2012 14:00:01
Message: <web.5057642f2fe15fc5a48fdb00@news.povray.org>
"Robert McGregor" <rob### [at] mcgregorfineartcom> wrote:
> "Samuel Benge" <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > Attached is another test, this time showing a ball blasting through a wall of
> > cubes. For the motion blur effect, I saved two states of the sim at different
> > time steps and interpolated the transformations in POV over a series of frames.
> > The images were then averaged together.
>
> That motion blur effect is outstanding! How many frames did you average to
> achieve this shot?

Forty, though it looks like fewer because I jittered the camera's position at
each frame for antialiasing/focal blur. All frames together finished rendering
in about 4 minutes 45 seconds using three 2.4GHz cores, which isn't too bad at
all. Radiosity and area_light settings were low, everything got a scaled-down
bumps normal, and no AA was used.

On a related subject, I noticed that POV-Ray's actual focal blur uses the same
set of samples for each frame. I'm guessing this is due to the Halton sequence
used, but is very annoying when trying to have very low focal blur settings with
the intention of averaging frames together. If each frame used a different
sample set, you could get away with a blur_samples value of 1, which as far as I
can tell, adds nothing to the render time. It would be nice to have the option
of using random focal blur samples for each frame :)

Sam