POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Piles of things (with Bullet Physics Playground) : Re: Piles of things (with Bullet Physics Playground) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:28:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Piles of things (with Bullet Physics Playground)
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 16 Sep 2012 15:25:01
Message: <web.505626a32fe15fc5cf8c77720@news.povray.org>
> It is understandable as one does not want to have overlapping objects,
> but the force moving them apart seems too strong to me, and cannot be
> controlled by hand unfortunately.

It makes for some fantastic explosions, though ;)

> With random objects, the difficulty is to have them as close in shape as
> possible to the basic collision objects. That puts some constrains upon
> the modelling...

There are many cases in which mesh/collision-shape inconsistencies aren't too
noticeable, if the objects are grouped together somehow.

For example, the attached is a test using compound collision objects in Blender.
A cylinder (head) and cone (tip) were parented to a cylindrical shaft. Each was
given a collision bounding method to automatically match its respective
geometry.

To makes things easier on myself (and also due to upgrading to the new version)
I wrote an addon for Blender which directly exports transformations of all
selected objects to an .inc file, so it's now possible to go straight from
Blender to POV-Ray. It seems like the simplest way to accomplish things,
especially considering all the nice tools that are available in Blender.

Sam

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'nails.jpg' (115 KB)