POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Resuming photons : Re: Resuming photons Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:25:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Resuming photons
From: MichaelJF
Date: 25 Aug 2012 14:00:01
Message: <web.503912471042b2d563cfa7030@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:

>    Here you have just radiosity artifacts, which I suppose come from my
> thekitchen.hdr (that's why the other image didn't show them). The
> reason must be that as the artifacts (circle-like spots) are so largue,
> the partial pretrace can't catch them entirely... or something like
> that.

Many thanks! Yes this solves this riddle. It's the first time I encounter
radiosity artifacts - usually I use predefined settings from rad_def.inc and not
the defaults like here. Even a bit strange in place and shape - the kitchen
window is to the left at an angle of 105 degrees in relation to the camera
position and look at - I mistook them as reflections from the facets. (A little
bit too much brain aerobics to jugde where a rectangular bright area projected
to a sphere will end up with so many reflecting faces...) I first tried IndoorLQ
today which produces the same artifacts but is not very far away from the
defaults. But setting count to 400 nearly eliminated the artifacts. Since the
stone didn't improve much with this settings I will not bother you with a fourth
image of it. Hm, since I will have a POV-HDRI-image I will give your patio a
try...

> But the photons seems to have come out OK on the continued renders...
>
> --
> Jaime

We talked about intended resumes and so I proposed to save the photon map in the
first rendering and load it with the resumed ones. Unlike radiosity maps in the
past photon maps are saved immediately after the calculation, so you can stop an
rendering after the photon calculations and then resume it loading the
precalculated photons. That is why the photons are not affected by the resumes.

Best regards,
Michael