POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Dominoes with subsurface{} : Re: Dominoes with subsurface{} Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:26:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dominoes with subsurface{}
From: Robert McGregor
Date: 18 Aug 2012 18:05:01
Message: <web.50300f20c6d6fe4fd39341350@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:
> On 14/08/12 16:14, jhu wrote:
>
>    As for how to fix it, that should be clipka job (if there is any bug,
> of course: I just switched to another approach without further testing
> of the problem).

I realize SSLT it's still quite experimental and I've played with it quite a
bit, but finally decided that subsurface just doesn't yet work properly when
dealing with complex textures, especially regarding the pigment block. For a
simple candle it looks nice (or your dominoes), but having the subsuface color
in the finish block seems to override anything in the pigment block, with is
pretty much unusable for standard scenes. Also, I've had a lot trouble using it
with radiosity and finally gave up. It also seems to exclude anything other than
the subsurface block within a finish block, so reflections, specular, etc. don't
work quite right either.

Maybe Christoph can set us straight on these points with some new example
scenes... eh, Mr. Lipka?

At this point, doing a separate pass for subsurface is the only viable solution
that I've found, and that works quite well when composited (via screen) into the
standard shot (as long as every non-SSLT suface in the scene is textured
completely non-diffuse black).

www.McGregorFineArt.com