POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Protein Complexes : Re: Protein Complexes Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:23:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Protein Complexes
From: Robert McGregor
Date: 17 Aug 2012 08:15:00
Message: <web.502e358bc36bb29af7aa22b40@news.povray.org>
> Great image, I especially like the green whatever-that-is-helix.
>
> I'll be sure to check the cover when visiting the library ;)
>
> The only thing I wondered is if the illumination might be too bland.
> As far as I understand the process it is perfectly diffuse AO/radiosity
> (is the model itself emissive?). Some harder shadows might increase the
> perception of depth and 3d structure. Especially the blue "heads" feel
> a bit surreal to me (which can of course be a good thing, too).
>
> I realize of course that actual light would just diffract like hell
> instead of giving any sort of shadow, but then actual light wouldn't
> give you this image anyway ;)

Thanks Christian. The green helix is actin. As for the lighting, most EM images
that I've seen have more of an ambient occlusion shading to them, so I chose to
use three subtle shadowless lights and an EXR environment, relying on the
ambient occlusion pass for the darker detail (and getting slightly faster render
times). The models are not emmisive, but the subsurface pass adds what I felt
was just the right amount of "glowiness."

www.McGregorFineArt.com