POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Protein Complexes : Protein Complexes Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:30:13 EDT (-0400)
  Protein Complexes
From: Robert McGregor
Date: 16 Aug 2012 18:35:01
Message: <web.502d749515a1694f7aa22b40@news.povray.org>
Hi all, for the last couple of weeks I've been working on this scientifically
accurate image depicting spatial relationships between the three critical
proteins that comprise the human heart's molecular motor.

This image is currently a candidate for the September 2012 cover of the journal
Science (fingers crossed).

Here are the four render passes that I used for this shot: ambient occlusion,
subsurface translucency, Z-depth (for faux focal blur), and a standard radiosity
render, along with the final composite of all four render passes.

The red, green, and yellow/orange bits are all blobs. The springy orange
connectors and big blue "heads" were modeled in Wings3d. The spaghettified tubes
are random parametric sphere sweep meshes built by a POV-Ray macro and written
to disc (and render oh-so-much faster than actual sphere_sweeps). The background
is a height field made up of several of my old images all mashed together and
rendered, then blurred mercilessly with Photoshop in the final comp.

Cheers,
Rob
www.McGregorFineArt.com

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'myosin_actin_mybpc_renderpassesandcomp.jpg' (744 KB)

Preview of image 'myosin_actin_mybpc_renderpassesandcomp.jpg'
myosin_actin_mybpc_renderpassesandcomp.jpg