POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The search continues : Re: The search continues Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:32:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The search continues
From: waggy
Date: 4 Aug 2012 14:45:00
Message: <web.501d6d7c170155809726a3c10@news.povray.org>
> Let people know that you're not afraid of taking on new challenges, and
> that you have what it /really/ takes for that: The will and ability to
> learn.
I've always wondered about this.  I would think that most every applicant for an
IT position, especially those with limited formal training or experience in the
specific technologies required for the job, will make this claim. How do you
provide evidence that, in your case, you're not wildly exaggerating or outright
lying about having this skill?

Does the IT job application process allow submitting a portfolio of your work?

For example, I have no formal training in any programming language.  I could
list URLs to a few web applications I've written for my own amusement using PHP,
JavaScript, SVG, and CSS (the last three now known collectively as HTML5),
provide a research-quality Octave/MatLab engineering application, and provide a
(beta version) production-quality Fortran 95 plugin for a commercial
application.  I could even show them a patch to add some functions to POV-Ray in
C, and a whole lot more, attempting to demonstrate that I can program in just
about anything, despite having held down only one "real job" for about two of
the past twenty-five years.

How does one work this into the process without coming off as a lying jerk?