POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Old music : Re: Old music Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old music
From: nemesis
Date: 21 Jul 2012 19:50:00
Message: <web.500b3fc7a6810e5d4ec2b5630@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> John VanSickle <evi### [at] kosherhotmailcom> wrote:
> > For the same reason that lots of people have hated every over-promoted
> > mediocrity.
>
> As for that, how exactly do you define mediocrity (when talking about a
> singer/musician)? How do you measure mediocrity?
>
> If such an artist is very popular and sells well, how can you say he/she is
> mediocre? What's the justification?

Is popularity a measure of quality? or sales?  In that case, games like
Assassin's Creed or Skyrim are really mediocre when compared to something like
Wii Fit, the interactive Jane Fonda fitness video which went on to sell 30+
million to people who don't dig traditional videogames.

The definition of mediocre is something ordinary, of medium value: it doesn't
kinda sucks, but isn't outstanding in any way.  We do tend to actually employ
mediocre to convey the idea of something that is beyond awful, which would be
the correct measure for something like JB, or Wii Fit to that matter. :)

Oustanding is something that is, simply put, awe-inspiring.  I can't imagine
anyone being awe-inspired by JB save for hormone-crazed girls.  And it sure is
not for his work, but for him.

So, you can say a mediocre artist is one which sells himself well enough not to
depend on his shitty work.  A great artist is one that disappears when his art
is shown:  like a musician doing a great solo.  Did JB ever did a great solo?
Nope, he's just a souless fabricated puppet...