POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Confusion about the index of refraction : Re: Confusion about the index of refraction Server Time
30 Apr 2024 03:15:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Confusion about the index of refraction
From: Chaanakya
Date: 17 Jul 2012 20:45:01
Message: <web.5006065a3f159462b8fe1f630@news.povray.org>
> Am 17.07.2012 19:13, schrieb Chaanakya:
>
> >> If you have a scene with plenty of transparent stuff, you might want to
> >> specify "default { pigment { rgbt 1 } }" at the beginning of your scene
> >> file to save you a bit of typing.
> >
> > Something's not working correctly - if I make a cube with an IOR of 1.5
> > (essentially a glass cube), I don't see a reflection.  There should be a
> > reflection at some point of the cube, but I don't see that.
>
> Uh... yes, you should /definitely/ see a reflection. You do have some
> surroundings to reflect in the cube, don't you?
>
> And I'm presuming you did specify "finish { reflection { 1.0 fresnel } }".

Does this look like a glass cube?

#version 3.6;
#include "colors.inc"
#include "CIE.inc"

global_settings {
  max_trace_level 1024
  ambient_light White
  assumed_gamma 1.0
}

camera {
  location <3.5,3.5,0>
  //rotate <0,-clock*360,0>
  look_at <0,0,0>
}

light_source {
  <1000, 1000, 0>
  color White
}

plane {
  y, -10.0
  pigment { checker Green, White }
}

box {
  <-1,-1,-1>,<1,1,1>
  pigment {
    transmit 1
  }
  finish {
    ambient 0
    diffuse 0
    conserve_energy
    reflection {
      1.0
      fresnel on
    }
    specular 0
    roughness 0.001
  }
  interior {
    ior 1.5
  }
}

As I said, something doesn't look right here.  Thank you so much for your help!

- Chaanakya