POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Confusion about the index of refraction : Re: Confusion about the index of refraction Server Time
30 Apr 2024 00:03:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Confusion about the index of refraction
From: Chaanakya
Date: 17 Jul 2012 13:15:00
Message: <web.50059d573f1594627f523b7e0@news.povray.org>
> Am 17.07.2012 18:09, schrieb Chaanakya:
>
> > 4) I have found that if I only specify the IOR, conserve_energy, and fresnel
> > (with no pigment { transmit N.N } block), the object looks black.  This is the
> > one thing I don't understand.
>
> Specify "transmit 1.0"; with conserve_energy, AFAIK you should be fine.
>
> POV-Ray doesn't automatically do that for you because some people
> /might/ want to model non-transparent reflective materials, you know ;-)
>
> You might argue that specifying an ior should automatically imply
> transparency, but this is not so: Real life opaque surfaces (or rather,
> surfaces of opaque materials) obey fresnel's law as well, so for best
> realism you need to use "fresnel on" and specify an ior for those as
> well, and even top it off with "conserve_energy" to modulate the diffuse
> reflection accordingly.
>
> (All non-metallic "opaque" materials are actually transparent with very
> strong absorption and/or scattering effects; it would be too complex to
> model them as such though, hence the shortcut with a "surface color".)
>
> If you have a scene with plenty of transparent stuff, you might want to
> specify "default { pigment { rgbt 1 } }" at the beginning of your scene
> file to save you a bit of typing.

Something's not working correctly - if I make a cube with an IOR of 1.5
(essentially a glass cube), I don't see a reflection.  There should be a
reflection at some point of the cube, but I don't see that.  I should see a
difference with conserve_energy toggled, but I'm not seeing that.  I think
there's something else that needs to be done, but I'm not sure what.

- Chaanakya