POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : mesh2: vertex_vectors and normal_vectors : Re: mesh2: vertex_vectors and normal_vectors Server Time
26 Jun 2024 12:45:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mesh2: vertex_vectors and normal_vectors
From: Ansgar
Date: 17 Jul 2012 02:20:01
Message: <web.5005038b1e53fec44f1bb22c0@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <lef### [at] freefr> wrote:
> *answer to question*:
> The real description of the association between vertices (to form
> triangle or smooth_triangle) themselves and between vertices and
> normales happens in face_indices{} and normal_indices{}
>
> face_indices can become more complex with textures (including the
> capability that each vertex of a triangle get its own texture, and that
> the texture associated with a vertex might change along with each
> triangle it is part of).
>
> See >
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Tutorial_Section_3.1#Mesh2_Object

Well thanks for the answer, but I'm not sure what to make of this. Does it mean
that I scan the entire list of normal_indices, and when a particular index of a
vertex_vector never appears in it, it means that this particular vertex_vector
has no normal_vector?

> Are you sure you want to go though all that pain, and not use some
> existing tool? PoseRay comes to my mind (AFAIK it can convert between
> .obj and POV-Ray mesh2 both ways.)

Well currently my program is using .3ds files for the preview and POV mesh2
files for the final raytracing in POV. Works, sure thing. It would just be more
elegant if the preview renderer could read the pov files as well, then I
wouldn't have to deliver the geometry files twice in two different formats. :)
Clearer now? :)

Btw, thanks for your replies so far. :)