POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Some PovRay user here, using 3D-Printer? : Re: Some PovRay user here, using 3D-Printer? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:34:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some PovRay user here, using 3D-Printer?
From: Mr
Date: 6 Jul 2012 12:15:01
Message: <web.4ff70e15896020a1b30bf31b0@news.povray.org>
"H. Karsten" <h-karsten()web.de> wrote:
> I'm writing a 3D printing simulator at the moment and asked myself, if this
> project has some interest.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNl-0z5RmUs
>
> It's still alpha, with strange errors in the grafix.
>
> Best rgds,
> Holger :)

Indeed the idea of a simulation could help saving some plastic,

but mostly if it shows something else than the finished model, it should
highlight some of the problems that could occur with a specific model, like more
than 45 degrees angled overhang. Even though that could easily be done by
processing the mesh without visual feedback, I can see how looking at the
simulation would be much usefull at spotting when a valid case of object
topology, volume, etc... could still differ from the first intention of the
modeler (like when a surface or feature is revealed too thin to appear in one of
the actual printed layer). All these cases could get some visual feedback, but
even without it, it's usefull at guiding the mind to spot them. Fluid simulation
with animatable viscosity might also help in the set of tools.