POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : desert landscape with an industrial touch : Re: desert landscape with an industrial touch Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:19:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: desert landscape with an industrial touch
From: rodv92
Date: 29 Jun 2012 15:20:00
Message: <web.4fedfee37c79d91e5d50475e0@news.povray.org>
> On 28-6-2012 1:15, rodv92 wrote:
> > Feel free to comment and thank you again to the community for the great and fast
> > like light support ! ;-)
>
> Adding to what Alain already said:
> - The blades of the wind turbines seem too thin and/or too long to me.
> They will not survive any significant wind nor are they efficient enough
> to catch any wind in the first place probably.
> - The landscape is in need of some relief. Even a flat desert is not
> "flat". A gentle height_field or isosurface will probably do wonders.
> - Textures. Time to give some variations to the textures which are now
> too uniform. Use colour or pigment maps.
> - All power lines, including those for the trains should be thinner I
> think, with a thickness variation between the main power line and the
> supporting ones.
> - Sunlight is coming from due left (not from behind). Try to avoid such
> geometrically perfect fits to the landscape. I would suggest to move the
> sun towards a position further away giving some interesting shadows on
> the structures (and the landscape) by back lighting.
>
> Otherwise, this is becoming an interesting scene indeed. As Alain said,
> keep in mind the different sizes of the structures, especially in
> relation to each other. Always build from a common scale base (feet,
> meters, pov units) and take into account "real" sizes where possible.
>
> Thomas

Thanks Thomas and Alain for your advices.
I am aware of the scaling problems and unfortunately i used some pretty akward
scaling rules, so i think i will code a script to rescale all items.

Since the scale is very high (20 = 1m) and provided that it is a scene with an
animation in mind (point of view of the driving post in the locomotive) the
translation vectors are large, and it poses problem with the size of the sky
dome of LightSys.

It seems clear now that rescaling is mandatory, and maybe it will even increase
parsing performance...

For the desert floor, i think of a f_wrinkle based isosurface and some rock
generating macro, and will use sparse vegetation everywhere.

Thanks !