POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Unreal engine 4 : Re: Unreal engine 4 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:22:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unreal engine 4
From: nemesis
Date: 11 Jun 2012 11:15:01
Message: <web.4fd60b1e44d3299f75daf2370@news.povray.org>
andrel <byt### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> On 9-6-2012 5:47, Darren New wrote:
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOvfn1p92_8
> >
> > Amazing the level of visual computation people are achieving these days
> > in real time.
> >

> It looks great. The downside of having so much detail and so much
> flexibility is that for a reasonable world someone has to provide that
> detail.
> On the one hand: think of what Thomas de Groot could do with this for
> his Gancaloon. On the other hand, he'll need to put in a lot of detail
> in every place that might be visited, not just the ones he makes a
> closeup for. That will mean many years of work. There will be no way to
> justify that expense. Unless someone is going to shoot a holywood
> blockbuster in his town.

I see you have not been playing games lately.  The amount of detail these days
that goes into what amounts to be essentially background scenery is staggering
in games like Assassin's Creed.  Though I agree procedural grebling with stock
models should be a must.

And to me personally hollywood was surpassed back in 1998 with Metal Gear Solid
and Half-Life.  It's a far older media than Roger Ebert himself...