POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : House building : Re: House building Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:30:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: House building
From: Becraft, Robert
Date: 12 May 2012 18:55:01
Message: <web.4faee9d04dfc25f5ede868930@news.povray.org>
> For those interested in ancient architecture.
>
> The elite of Gancaloon is living on the seaside part of town, and in a
> well-planned urban setting. Four urban villas are grouped in insulae
> which in turn form a chequerboard pattern, following the topography.
> Here is one of these insulae under construction (a latin name but the
> concept was already in use by the Greek; the Romans probably just copied
> it). Already during Greek times, individual housing was fairly
> conservative and subject to strict rules, reasons why I used classic
> house concepts around a peristyle courtyard and either involving a
> so-called megaron (see front-most villa) similar to Greek temples, or a
> looser collection of rooms served by corridors (so-called pasta-type).
>
> The image shows the villas in different stages of construction.
>
> It is ironic that the elite is living on the most exposed side of the
> city while the indigenous population lives on the best sheltered one.
> The hazards of urbanism and politics...
>
> Thomas

I'm liking these very much Thomas.  I can't wait to see these in place in the
city.

I actually have in my archives code I wrote to deploy random buildings across
blocks of a city-scape.  Each block could contain the same buildings, but they
would be rotated to show different facades to the camera giving them the
illusion of being unique.  The seeds kept each block fixed for different views.
If you develop a set of buildings you want to place randomly in your
city-blocks, I can send you the code.  The only catch I can remember is all the
buildings had to be a common dimension so that they easily could be placed in
the right place and the city blocks were rectangles or squares.

I also had one that was placing random "yard" objects in a more modern setting,
so you could have a yellow house, with a round pool and a swing.  The next one
might be a blue house with a dog-house and a swing... and so on.  Not sure that
would work too well in an ancient urban setting.

Robert.