POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : tone mapping in povray : Re: tone mapping in povray Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:18:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: tone mapping in povray
From: Norbert Kern
Date: 15 Apr 2012 12:00:01
Message: <web.4f8aeedf6dc6cfa9a2ad19490@news.povray.org>
"Florian Siegmund" <flo### [at] gmxat> wrote:

> My eyes are longing for a little bit of non-linearity :)

I think, it's the same impression, which lended me to use the "incorrect" value
2.2 for assumed_gamma - at least for outdoor scenes.

In some art books or composition guides you can read that you should not use
mid tones - either use dark or bright tones. For the same reasons you should use
either deep or really pale colors. Never use bright or dark colors together with
midtones for the main objects.
Of course this is only true if you aren't a genius...

So I decided to go for visually pleasent images, which are easier to generate
with higher gamma values.

Norbert Kern