POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : beginner first attempt at creating an industrial landscape scene : Re: beginner first attempt at creating an industrial landscape scene Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:22:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: beginner first attempt at creating an industrial landscape scene
From: rodv92
Date: 7 Feb 2012 01:55:06
Message: <web.4f30ca6311dffed65d50475e0@news.povray.org>
> Am 28.01.2012 05:10, schrieb Alain:

> >> Hello, in fact it's my first "real" scene. but i am not satisfied with
> >> it.
> >> I have a lot to correct :
> >>
> >> -realistic scales (real life sizes for objects)
> > It makes things esier to work with, but is not needed. Just keep a
> > concistent scalling.
> >> -gamma
> > Should be set to 1
>
> To prevent confusion:
> - assumed_gamma scene setting should be set to 1.
> - Display_Gamma ini file setting should match your display's gamma (2.2
> is a good solid guess; if using POV-Ray 3.7, you should be fine without
> explicitly specifying this setting).
> - File_Gamma ini file setting should be left alone (in POV-Ray 3.6 it
> doesn't exist, while in POV-Ray 3.7 the default is usually the best choice).
>
> I actually do like the colors. While they're unrealistic (and even
> though in my renders I usually strive for photorealism), it gives the
> image some surrealistic touch.
>
> >> -focal blur (but since the field is wide i dont know if it is necessary
> > For that kind of view, minimal to no focal blur. All distances are very
> > large relative to the aperture.
>
> Rule of thumb: If using focal blur, set aperture size to whatever
> POV-Ray units would match a size of somewhere around 1 cm (somewhere
> between the size of a human's pupil and the apparent size of a camera's
> aperture as seen through the lens). Significantly higher values will
> make your scene look like a miniature.

thanks for all the info.
i will update the catenary for the railroad power lines, with two parallel
cables.
In fact, i noticed that railroad power lines have no slack so there is no need
to use a catenary function and a sphere sweep. a simple cylinder will do

i felt inspired however to play with catenaries so
I added a real high voltage power line and a catenary with slack. the result is
good.