POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Brute force octree space partitioning : Re: Brute force octree space partitioning Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:14:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brute force octree space partitioning
From: Robert McGregor
Date: 30 Jan 2012 19:10:00
Message: <web.4f2731399d8d970f94d713cc0@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Robert McGregor escreveu:
> > I knew I was going to be out of town for several days this week and wanted to
> > make sure my PC's processor time wasn't squandered while I was away. So, I set
> > up an experimental scene to do a series of progressively more detailed brute
> > force octree space partitioning renders, using sparse voxels to fill a Julia
> > fractal with spheres (just because). Here's a "contact sheet" of the resulting
> > frames.
>
> any word on render time?
>
> --
> a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9

Well, actual /render/ time wasn't that bad, it was about 4 hours total for all
frames, and then only because I had radiosity settings cranked WAY up.

But the /parse/ time was murder (brute force and all, which is I why I waited
until I was out of town for several days ;). It was about 10 hours parsing for
the first 9 frames, and 70 hours parsing the final one (ouch!).

But, since I wrote the position & radius of each sphere to include files, the
parsing only had to be done once :)

www.McGregorFineArt.com