POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I give up rendering... : Re: I give up rendering... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:26:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I give up rendering...
From: nemesis
Date: 27 Jan 2012 06:20:01
Message: <web.4f228731341843074fdaea3f0@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> > not unbiased? how so?
>
> 20 years ago, ray tracing was a big deal. Today, it seems that "unbiased
> rendering" is the next big thing. It's where you basically simulate
> *all* light paths, all at once. So no need for separate photon maps,
> radiosity tuning, etc. It's all automatic.
>
> And slot as hell, by the way.

Now that you got a new pc, you should try out the latest blender builds with
cycles enabled and play with it a bit (like downloading some ready scenes,
choosing the cycles engine and hitting F12).  It's the new, unbiased
render-engine and is quite fast.  If your gpu is a new nvidia, it can run on it,
if not, just cpu.  But it's rather fast even on my humble dual-core at work, so
should do just fine on yours.

> >> I gather that procedural texturing is quite possible on a GPU. (But
> >> nobody uses it, for whatever reason.)

It's not artist friendly, aside perhaps as a rough base (like having a palette
of procedural textures for painting bitmaps) or for purely natural terrain.  I'd
also add that it's certainly more costly to compute for games than static
bitmaps.