POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Use of Sam Benge's strand utility : Re: Use of Sam Benge's strand utility Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:11:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Use of Sam Benge's strand utility
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 24 Jan 2012 14:10:00
Message: <web.4f1f012e31e146101184f8300@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tenDOTlnDOTretniATtoorgedDOTt> wrote:
> On 24-1-2012 2:12, Samuel Benge wrote:
>
> > Hmm, I figured nobody was using it; I'm glad that somebody is :)
>
> Well, like you say, I got sidetracked too :-) Only yesterday, while
> messing around in my POV backyard, I came across it and thought about
> what I could do with it, except making height_fields. This seemed one of
> the interesting possibilities I wanted to share.

Other than height fields, mesh displacement and isosurfaces, I can't really
think of too many other applications where 16-bit precision would be useful.
Normals. The patterns themselves work well for texturing; you can get some
really interesting cracked paint going. I do have this frosted glass idea I've
kept in a box for years. Since it's winter, I should dig it back out :)

> As the output of your utility has a strong 3D look, I was wondering if
> there would be a possibility to render the strands in a 3 dimensional
> way other than the classic height_fields, something like your fractals?
> I suppose the voids would be the challenge...

Oh yeah, there is a way, and I've even got some DF3 code (Warp's, IIRC) which
would make things easier, but I'm not about to try it now. My queue is too full
ATM ;) But if I /were/ to do something like that, I'd probably use a 3D array
only to mark filled areas, and just generate cylinders or sphere_sweeps as it
works itself out. No DF3 needed for that. The result would look like webs, or
something, and could be displaced with functions...

> > I'll try to post some stuff generated by the utility soon. Hopefully I won't get
> > sidetracked like I usually do :)
>
> Very good! Nothing wrong with sidetracking though ;-)

Not at all! But I've got so many things I have never posted, just lots of parts
floating around on the HD. I keep telling myself I'll eventually assemble some
of them into a scene, but there's always another interesting concept to explore
:D

Sam