POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : cities : Re: cities Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:13:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cities
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 24 Jan 2012 09:45:01
Message: <web.4f1ec34bfbb09c096dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tenDOTlnDOTretniATtoorgedDOTt> wrote:
> John's comments made me muse about what makes a city look *American* or
> not. Obviously, the conglomerate of high-rising skyscrapers is iconic in
> films and advertisements, and is easiest to model as a start towards
> more complex cities. Still, what makes a city *European* or *Asian*,
> starting from the same modern downtown concept: what makes Rotterdam
> different from London or Shanghai? Or Lagos for that matter?

Street plan geometry, architectural styles, famous landmarks... But in general,
I can't tell the difference between eastern, middle eastern, european or
american downtown areas, unless there is a landmark I recognise. Modern
metal-and-glass seem to follow similar ranges of design. It's the older
districts that really give up the clues.

> [I have more than a passing interest in architecture and urbanism by the
> way...]

I've always found architecture fascinating, although I know almost nothing about
it. I expect your insights will be of great use to me!

Bill