POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Boost library requirements : Re: Boost library requirements Server Time
2 May 2024 10:04:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Boost library requirements
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 23 Jan 2012 15:10:00
Message: <web.4f1dbd7c9688c3d585de7b680@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <lef### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Le 23/01/2012 02:28, Cousin Ricky a écrit :
> > I added "using mpi ;" to my user-config.jam.  I got back:
> >    You will need to manually configure MPI support.
> >    ________________________________________________________________________
> >
> > I don't like getting messages like this. >:-(
>
> AFAIK, you do not need MPI (optimisation of code by compiler applied to
> sequential code to use parallelism when available and triggered by the
> code itself). The parallelism of povray 3.7 is explicit, using threads.

I went ahead with the POV installation and got back:
   [snip]
   checking for g++ version... 4.6
   checking for ranlib... ranlib

   Libraries
   ---------
   checking whether to link with cygwin DLL... no
   checking whether to enable static linking... no
   checking for the pthreads library -lpthreads... no
   checking whether pthreads work without any flags... no
   checking whether pthreads work with -Kthread... no
   checking whether pthreads work with -kthread... no
   checking for the pthreads library -llthread... no
   checking whether pthreads work with -pthread... yes
   checking for joinable pthread attribute... PTHREAD_CREATE_JOINABLE
   checking if more special flags are required for pthreads... no
   checking for boostlib >= 1.37... yes
   checking whether the Boost::Thread library is available... yes
   checking for exit in -lboost_thread... yes
   checking whether the boost thread library is usable... no
   configure: error: in `/home/ricky/povray/povray-3.7.0.RC3':
   configure: error: cannot link with the boost thread library
   See `config.log' for more details.

No complaints about MPI, Bzip2, or Python in the config.log file.  Whatever the
problem is, it appears to be in the Boost installation, or lack thereof.

> Otherwise, you should install "Open MPI" to get with the installation of
> mpic++ (which is a wrapper on your usual c++ compiler, so if your g++ is
> out of date, that will be yet another story)
>
> http://www.open-mpi.org/

Tried that, got the same message from Boost installation.