POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Povray: the benefits : Re: Povray: the benefits Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:32:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray: the benefits
From: Mr
Date: 25 Dec 2011 17:35:01
Message: <web.4ef7a3b3b2cbacd3c0f35a530@news.povray.org>
I just like to choose the best available open source alternatives - feature-wise
and *try to adapt* to them. I also like to combine them, and feel very sad for
all the proselytism from each and every community that leads them to ignore the
benefits from some other; mostly did you know that in the Blender community
almost nobody knows of the POV-Ray 3.7 version, they all believe that the
software has been stuck years ago and prefer to invest time into bridging
software like Sunflow, which has been declared dead by its authors, or Cycles,
which is declared immature for a long time to come yet by its authors, than POV.
I am glad that on the contrary you guys did try the latest version of Blender.
Your reactions show that Blender's main weakness is documentation, (POV, has one
of the best around, thanks to Jim H and other contributors).

But the feature set of Blender is truly complete, professional and stable enough
to complement POV in the open source world for someone flexible enough to learn
both. any example?

-It is incomparably more stable than k3D (which is simply not usable yet and by
the time it will be, Aqsis might be as good a rendering option as POV  for it).

-Blender has a mesh paint system that could directly be translated into pov
object paint feature (sorry if I don't use proper POV syntax names)

-it has a smoke engine from which voxels can be exported and could match pretty
well POV, DF3 and media.

-you can use a graphics pen tablet to sculpt meshes like clay...etc

-you can animate anything

-it has good editing and compositing capacities to polish the finished work.

-it now can handle faces with arbitrary number of edges (BMesh Branch works,
currently being merged)

-it has an available (still drafty but open to contribution) exporter for pov
3.7 which is not the case of Wings 3D or other such serious open source modeling
tools around.

So what is it, with all those rendering options available for it, that make POV
one of the best candidates for rendering its scenes? I can think of 4 points:

-Huge feature set

-The SDL

-The Documentation along with community of very knowledgeable and generous
expert users like Alain, etc.)

-Clipka

Sorry for all the other developers, he just added so much  :-P