POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : NOMAD test--the Pleiades : NOMAD test--the Pleiades Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:12:20 EDT (-0400)
  NOMAD test--the Pleiades
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 17 Dec 2011 22:20:01
Message: <web.4eed5ada9b8d6c0d85de7b680@news.povray.org>
Thanks, Christian, for bringing NOMAD to my attention.

Now, for a related, but non-POV question for you resident astronomers and color
experts.  You'll notice a lot of ruby red stars in the attached image.  I have
found only one (1) formula to convert color filter data to temperature, from
Cameron Reed of Alma College.  It is an empirical curve-fit, and it has its
deficiencies.  At a B-V below around -0.373, the formula has no real roots.  On
the cooler side, a B-V of 5.575, well within the range of the measured stars,
returns the freezing point of water!  The ruby red stars are probably the best
way that CIE.inc has of telling me, "You're in the mid-to-far infrared, silly!"

Does anyone know of a more accurate way to reconstitute color from color filter
data?  Perhaps it's worth my sampling a few stars of known temperature and
creating my own curve.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'nomad_test-m45.png' (300 KB)