POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Graphic design : Re: Graphic design Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:25:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Graphic design
From: nemesis
Date: 1 Dec 2011 05:50:00
Message: <web.4ed75ba890690223c2d58a0e0@news.povray.org>
?

> > You're missing the point. "Creative Commons" is the GPL of artwork.
> > There's a bunch of stuff you can use free, or you can use if you credit
> > the author, or etc.
>
> And you're saying stuff like that actually exists in the real world, and
> some of it is actually good quality?

"There's no free lunch" doesn't apply to digital economics of an open-source
nature where there's an advantage to sharing with others (to showcase skills or
simply share maintanance troubles).

It also doesn't apply to public domain goodies.  You can read all of Shakespeare
or use classic painting copies for free.

> >> I can't figure out how it's even possible in theory.
> >
> > I had to google around for about 15 minutes before I found an actual
> > explanation, rather than someone just saying "use the photoshop filter".
>
> Because, of course, everybody can afford Photoshop(r)... Oh, wait...

Gimp has a straightforward Seamless feature.  Filters > Map > Make Seamless (or
Tileable, I don't remember).  Then you can test by choosing Filters > Map >
Tiles and choosing % as unit and 200 as value.

> POV-Ray makes nice stone textures (unless you're a geologist) and wood
> textures (unless you're a dendrologist). Last time I checked, there's no
> way of making a canvas texture or a wet paper texture or a spilled paint
> texture or...

Ah, the desire to reproduce all of nature fractal random designs through pure
math.  No doubt some will be up to your challenge, but in this day and age it's
so cheap to just point your camera to nature itself, grab a few samples and make
it seamless with some 2D feature...

> Then again, I spent 6 months at drawing classes, and I still can't draw.
> So maybe it's just that only a tiny fraction of the population will ever
> be good at graphic design?

It's possible.  You can feel better though by knowing they secretely wish to
know how to program so they could come up with their own tools... ;)