POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stars of the night sky : Re: Stars of the night sky Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:32:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stars of the night sky
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 27 Nov 2011 21:55:00
Message: <web.4ed2f754a6a67a4085de7b680@news.povray.org>
> A bit confusing though as I'm more used to a cutoff at
> magnitude 4.5 to 5 in the city ;)

I can get away from the city to about magnitude 6.0 before I run out of land.
(I live on a small island.)

> Higher resolution would
> be nice so the pleiades don't clump together so much.

Taurus attached, with a bit of Orion to the lower left.  Of course, the limited
data set and limited dynamic range don't do justice to the Pleiades.  If you've
never seen an open star cluster through a telescope, they are razor-sharp,
glittery pinpricks of light.  I describe them as diamond dust on velvet.

I would like to get more extensive data from other sources, but I haven't
figured out the best options yet.  I tried Hipparcos a few years ago, but I
noticed some prominent stars missing from M7 and M42.  I've since forgotten
where star chart software programs get their data.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'taurus.jpg' (31 KB)

Preview of image 'taurus.jpg'