POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stars of the night sky : Re: Stars of the night sky Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:19:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stars of the night sky
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 27 Nov 2011 20:15:01
Message: <web.4ed2e079a6a67a4085de7b680@news.povray.org>
> The stars look great, is the glow due to media?

Yes.

> Also I'm not quite sure what you mean by subtracting an
> extinction of 6.5, unless magnitude 13 happens to be the
> range where your magnitude to rgb mapping turns black.

I converted magnitude to a linear brightness, then subtracted the linear
equivalent of magnitude 6.5.

> Try comparing the lossless png versions by blinking the two images,
> even tiny differences should catch your eye then.

Actually, it just occurred to me that anti-alias jitter could account for the
difference.  It would be a bear to find out, because for some reason my -J flag
isn't working.  (I *could* do it by rendering with -A +W3360 +H3360 and waiting
all night, or by rewriting all my #fors and reverting to 3.6.)