POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I give up rendering... : Re: I give up rendering... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:23:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I give up rendering...
From: Roman Reiner
Date: 26 Nov 2011 08:05:00
Message: <web.4ed0e22034184307c4586f720@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Roman Reiner <lim### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> > Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> > > One thing where the real-time engine has an "unfair" advantage is that
> > > the radiosity is pre-calculated [...]
>
> > No it's not. Cryengine3 renders global illumination in real-time!
>
>   Since all the lighting in the titanic scene is static, calculating
> lighting dynamically is an enormous waste of resources. That exact same
> scene could be rendered just with static lightmaps. (Turning lights on
> and off does not require dynamic lightmaps, it just requires switching
> between alternate sets of precalculated lightmaps.)
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

I know. Still, the engine is capable of rendering global illumination in
real-time and that's what it does. The fact that it is able to do that makes me
doubt that there are any resources being wasted ;)

Though, I assume the calculation heavily relies on reusing samples from scene
parts that have not changed, thus saving calculation time.

Either that or deciding which parts to reuse is actually more time consuming
than just re-rendering everything from scratch each frame.

Anyway, it works, and it's real-time.
The point being: Whether the scene is static or not, there were no
pre-computations!