POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : strange behavior, lightsource + lookslike + media : Re: strange behavior, lightsource + lookslike + media Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:13:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: strange behavior, lightsource + lookslike + media
From: [GDS|Entropy]
Date: 4 Nov 2011 21:10:01
Message: <web.4eb48cc3693b004877e50e540@news.povray.org>
Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:

> > Alain<aze### [at] qwertyorg>  wrote:
> >> Some media hints:
> >> intervals MUST remains at 1
> >> samples NEVER use the second parameter when using the default smpling
> >> method: method 3.
> >
> > Ok. what advice do you have on the implementation of resolution modification
> > based on distance to camera?
> >
> > I'd like far away media to have lower resolution, to speed up renders.
>
> For that, you need to set the camera location before you define the
> media. Next, you calculate the distance using vlenght(). Then, acording
> on that value, you can set samples to a decreasing value as you go
> farther from the camera.

Very good! I'll give that a shot. I have a few different methods of producing
glows, many come somewhat close, but none look exactly like my goal. THe best
ones unfortunately use a multitude of overlapping lightsources and hit the
fixedsimplevector limit, so I'll need to come up with a better way using a
single lightsource and multiple densities/media.

Thanks for your advice,
Ian