From: Mike the Elder
Date: 26 Sep 2011 10:15:01
Message: <web.4e8087e2f265d0d485627c70@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/09/23/switzerland.science/?hpt=ieu_c1
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

Public and media reactions strike me as being reminiscent of the days when

is it such a shock when we are reminded for the umpteenth time that the MODELS
that we build in accordance with our various theories apply to a specific range
of observed phenomena and that the greater universe as a whole is under no
obligation to constrain its existence within those parameters?  M-theory should

.... eleven dimensions?

interesting than an ordinary flaw in the experiment or the equipment.  It could
be a real opportunity to learn something very interesting about the structure of
spacetime.   I know this is a REAL stretch, but /IF/ this is a first case of
being able to generate a trajectory from within 3D+t space that moves outside of
it*, the implications COULD be profound. The hypothesis... OK, conjecture ;-)...

anything truly essential missing from modern inquiries into high energy physics,

These folks will always find (or invent) SOMETHING they can latch onto for this

arguments rather than the previous bazillion.

Best regards,
Mike C.

*Obviously, no set of vectors contained entirely within 3D+t space can
mathematically add up to a result ending outside of it. However, it might be
possible to generate a physical phenomenon which could INTERACT with an existing
extra-dimensional event or, perhaps, to produce an event whose nature defies