POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A rare moment : Re: A rare moment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:26:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A rare moment
From: Mike the Elder
Date: 20 Sep 2011 10:00:01
Message: <web.4e789a5a9ffc2bc685627c70@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> It's extremely rare to hear something insightful being said on a talk
> show. However, just once, I did witness such a thing.
>
> The following exchange occurred between some random parent, and the head
> teacher of some obscure school:
>
> Teacher: We don't perform competitive activities at our school.
> Parent: Don't you believe in /challenging/ children? Don't you believe
> in setting goals that will stretch them?
> Teacher: We do believe in presenting children with strong challenges.
> However, we believe it is important for children to learn that their
> success doesn't have to come at the expense of anybody else.

While I was thinking about how to word a reply that was largely in sympathy with
the practice downplaying the role of competition in education specifically and
society generally, it stuck me that I was also thinking about ways that I might
be able to assist in the resurrection of the IRTC, the Internet Ray Tracing
COMPETITION.  Was I about to contradict myself yet again? Well, only sort of.

My real point is that opinions regarding the negative or positive value of
competition often are formed without due consideration being given to the
usually well-acknowledged principle that wisdom is seldom found at the extremes.

those who feels that our society frequently emphasizes and promotes competition
far in excess of the rational balance point that would be determined by asking
serious questions about when, where and in what degree competition would do more

strenuously in favor of competition do so in an extremely disingenuous fashion,
seeking only to cover their desire to dominate and profit at the expense of

agree to this are just pig-ignorant anarchist burdens on society who are getting

Showcase and dispense with the element of competition? Although this would be
fine by me personally, I have to admit that, in this case, an element of
competition is probably doing some good in motivating participation and
improving the quality of the images.  The trick is not to let a preoccupation
with who wins run amok and take the fun out of the event for everyone. (Sadly, I
think we saw that happen a few times.)

everybody but YOU agrees that the Sun goes around the Earth, but you have to

Boys, take Mr. Galileo to the tower and 'explain' the advantages of

well-established tricks to control the herd, then stampede the herd to trample
the dissenters.

The idea that we should ALWAYS cooperate and NEVER compete is predicted on the
highly questionable assumption that there is someone who just KNOWS what is best
for everyone and how we should be going about achieving it.

As for the classroom environment, I support the notion of cutting way back on
creating artificial institutionally sponsored forums for separating students

questions about the intrinsic value of their efforts and actions instead.  Life

on competition to become an irrational preoccupation with stamping out

meeting.

Best regards,
Mike C.