POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tablet PCs : Re: Tablet PCs Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:28:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tablet PCs
From: Stephen
Date: 3 Sep 2011 00:05:00
Message: <web.4e61a6efd30219a2fbf07d360@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> > But it boils down to this - do you want an appliance, or do you want a
> > general purpose computing device.
>
>   If you want a general-purpose computer, why don't you buy a laptop?
> You'll be able to do a lot more with it than with a tablet. Many modern
> laptops aren't even significantly heavier or larger either, so it's not
> even a question of portability.

Maybe I should give you my answer. I have an i7 laptop that I carry with me when
I am travelling it weighs about 5.5 lbs. And I need to carry my works laptop as
well (6.5 lbs). Add the power supplies and stuff to that and it is about 5~6 kg
hanging on my shoulder, for hours. But you are right an iPad type tablet is no
substitution for computing power. So I bought one anyway.
I hope my wife likes it :-)
Really, I just wanted to spend some money after 3 months of two weeks in a
desert then one week working 12:00 to 20:00. With 24 hours travelling inbetween.

>   The iPad is not a laptop. It's a portable multimedia device which also
> doubles as a pretty decent game console (it is, in fact, surprisingly
> powerful at running games, even heavy 3D ones). It also has an incredible
> battery life (which most portable devices can only dream of).

Yeah! That is why I hope Regan will like it. And it is shiny O_O.

Stephen