POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tablet PCs : Re: Tablet PCs Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:24:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tablet PCs
From: nemesis
Date: 2 Sep 2011 16:40:00
Message: <web.4e613dccd30219a29a1bcfb90@news.povray.org>
> No, I think most Android tablets try to be a media consumption device
> (let's face it, text input without a keyboard is painful for most
> people)

I've been using this incredible input method called "Swype", where you swipe
your finger over letters in the virtual keyboard instead of typing to write
words.  It's nothing short of marvelous and I've typed here and elsewhere with
it even from the bus.  I've written and published most of the articles in my
blog* with it without much pains and with reasonable productivity for what
people would expect from a smartphone.

No surprise, here I am taking a break at the snack bar while taking to you.
Sadly, Apple devices don't feature anything like it builtin, which is a real
shame (and Swype was developed by Samsung afaik) and does much for the
perception that the devices are completely inadequate for intellectual
production.

That and the fact that you're basically jailed to iTunes for media consumption
(a friend of mine requested some mp3s from mine because he can't download his to
his PC) make them big no-noes to me.

Btw, I've edited this in a full text editor.  Not quite emacs, but is much more
comfortable than tiny web form text entries.  Quite a bliss to do ctrl-c ctrl-v
with your fingers... :)

* my poetry and haiku in portuguese:
http://umavozatroz.wordpress.com/