POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Monumental Failure (optical illusion) : Re: Monumental Failure (optical illusion) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:19:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Monumental Failure (optical illusion)
From: Eriban
Date: 22 Aug 2011 16:50:00
Message: <web.4e52c0364d45b5681475b100@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tenDOTlnDOTretniATtoorgedDOTt> wrote:
> Shouldn't the shadow of the construction touch also the grass, maybe the
> trees? It is tall enough for that it seems.

Yes, it should, really. I had already tried this, but did not get it to look
good. One problem is what the shadow should look like. It could be the top of a
single column (that's according to the shadows on the inner wall). However, what
then about the shadow of the square portal with two pillars? Showing a shadow on
the grass basically draws the attention to the fact that something odd is
happening here. Also, it simply did not look good (probably partly due to the
harsh shadows and lack of radiosity). So for now, I am taking the easy way out
here...