POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Monumental Failure (optical illusion) : Re: Monumental Failure (optical illusion) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:26:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Monumental Failure (optical illusion)
From: Eriban
Date: 21 Aug 2011 08:15:01
Message: <web.4e50f5b34d45b5681475b100@news.povray.org>
> Very nice, doesn't look like a failure at all ;)

Thanks.

> The shadow on the inner right side of the monument doesn't
> seem to match either light orientation. Is that an artefact
> of the few fancy tricks you did use?

It is an intentional artifact, intended to look at least at first glance fairly
okay. The problem is that the shadows cannot be entirely consistent because of
the two interpretations of the plane on which the shadow is cast (being nearby
at the top, and far at the bottom). The correct angle of the shadow would be to
match that of the shadow above it, but that would look wrong as well.
Alternatively, I could let the shadow of the front column extend all the way to
the top, but that would look strange as well. The front square pillar should not
be casting a shadow on the back one, given the direction of the light.

Hmm, I could change the alignment of _both_ shadows of the top bar such that
they align. Although still not correct, it may look somewhat better. See the
attached image. Does this look better?

Cheers,
Erwin

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'failure-variant1.jpg' (309 KB)

Preview of image 'failure-variant1.jpg'
failure-variant1.jpg