POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Password difficulty : Re: Password difficulty Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:27:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Password difficulty
From: Mike the Elder
Date: 11 Aug 2011 08:00:01
Message: <web.4e43c22a6af6823185627c70@news.povray.org>
Chambers <Ben### [at] geemailcom> wrote:
> I thought this was funny, since there was the recent discussion on
> password strength...
>
> http://xkcd.com/936/
>
> Correctly demonstrates that the important facet is the sheer length of
> the password :)
>
> (Assuming that the person trying to crack it doesn't take a stab at
> solving for combinations of simple words like this before they go brute
> force on your a**)
>
> ...Chambers

This is both true and helpful.  Thank you.

As it happens, it is also suggestive of a prank in which the user is given a
series of "randomly" chosen common words to use as a password. This is presented
along with a brief explanation of the mathematics of password length like the
one in the link to make the whole thing sound serious and plausible. The user is
then encouraged to memorize the word sequence by repeating it aloud several
times.

Something like: "EYE YAM SEW WHEAT HEART DEAD"

There is a much ruder version (NOT suggested for office use) where "SEW" is
replaced by synonyms for /couch/ and /monarch/.

Perhaps *I* could be given the sequence:
"MICE HENNA TEA EASE INK WEST SHUN"  ;-)

Best Regards,
Mike C.