POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tumblr, Images and Copyrights : Re: Tumblr, Images and Copyrights Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:23:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tumblr, Images and Copyrights
From: nemesis
Date: 8 Aug 2011 22:10:01
Message: <web.4e40961eb8767dd7538c5e2a0@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook <z99### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I think that, to an extent, it relates to the ability to reproduce the
> game/music/movie/whatever losslessly, an unlimited number of times.  It
> throws a wrench in the supply-and-demand model, because supply becomes
> infinity.  It makes the actual-value of the product 'zero'.

Precisely.  It doesn't matter it took you years of your life to develop a high
level of artistry and publish something that quite certainly rings a chord with
people:  they won't give you a dime after they downloaded their free copy of
your work pressed against the thousands of others in a single night.

We've come back to an age where starving artists gotta make live performances
(specially popular ones that strike a chord with youtube users) for daily bread,
not by selling their work to publishers.  That's what happened when everyone got
their very own press.

Society should rethink the way artists get their income.  I think online content
providers should be the ones nurturing new talents, but sadly that only means
demented garbage to please a crackhead audience.  Indies are out of luck, no
success with the masses and no way to limit the work of several years quickly
spreading through decentralized torrents at no dime.  DRM is a joke that limits
no one but honest buyers.  Perhaps a few generous souls will turn out to at
least send the guy an email with "thanks"?