POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Post your first image! : Re: Post your first image! Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:21:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Post your first image!
From: jhu
Date: 4 Aug 2011 22:50:01
Message: <web.4e3b5986320d8d015fdc3090@news.povray.org>
"s.day" <s.d### [at] uelacuk> wrote:

> > The image was most likely rendered on a 386 DX-40 machine (without
> > mathematical co-processor), using /some/ DOS version of POV-Ray
> > (presumably 2.0). As for the rendering time, I just recall it to have
> > been /awfully/ long.
>
> I thought the DX machines were the ones with the co-processor, my first PC was a
> 386 SX-33 and I remember complaining to the person who built it as I had asked
> for a DX with a co-processor and 4MB of memory. I remember him saying nothing
> has been written to use the co-processors so he did not think there was any
> point in adding one. Also asking me why I needed 4MB of memory, he obviously was
> not aware of POV-Ray.
>
> Unfortunately I do not have my first image any longer so cannot post it. I have
> the files on an old 3.25 floppy disk but do not have anything with a floppy disk
> drive to get hold of it..
>
> Sean

Actually the 386 DX was a full 32-bit processor with a 32-bit bus. The 386 SX
only had a 16-bit bus so it couldn't access more than 16 MB of memory. But back
then, who had that much? They also didn't come with a math coprocessor (that had
to be bought and installed separately). The 486 DX was the one that started
having the FPU on the same die.