POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The rise of multicellular organisms : Re: The rise of multicellular organisms Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:32:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The rise of multicellular organisms
From: Mike the Elder
Date: 4 Aug 2011 08:30:01
Message: <web.4e3a8febf6265d1d85627c70@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> I think that hypotheses about how different organisms could have been
> evolved are fascinating. It's also fascinating to try to come up with
> plausible hypotheses.

I haven't really reached any firm conclusions with regard to the Endosymbiotic
Hypothesis (basically, the idea that symbiotic cooperation and merging of
simpler life forms played a major role in the development of more complex ones),
but I think it has enough going for it to merit serious consideration. A pretty
good introduction can be found here:

http://endosymbiotichypothesis.wordpress.com/history-the-formation-of-the-endosymbiotic-hypothesis/

I know this is a REALLY broad generalization... and that applying it to a
specific complex case is really nothing more than pointing to an approach that
MIGHT POSSIBLY yield some interesting results, BUT... mathematically speaking,
environmentally restricted interaction between otherwise closed systems has
tremendous potential for generating increasingly intricate structures and
feeding the "emerging complexity" phenomenon.  So far, the more I learn about
the endosymbiotic appraoch, the more I tend to think "Hey, this might just
work!"

Best Regards,
Mike C.