POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Post your first image! : Re: Post your first image! Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:20:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Post your first image!
From: s day
Date: 3 Aug 2011 19:10:00
Message: <web.4e39d529320d8d018818f2400@news.povray.org>
> Nope, the DX had a 32-bit data bus, the SX only had a 16-bit data bus
> (but a 32-bit instruction set).  The 24 bit address pins meant the SX
> could only handle 16 MB of RAM total, as opposed to 4 GB on the DX models
> (of course, no 386 ever had that much memory in it; my DX was maxed out
> at 16 MB).
>
> And yes, obviously he wasn't aware of POV-Ray; my first serious raytracing
> system was a Northgate 80386DX-33 with a 80387 math coprocessor (I was an
> aeronautical engineering student at the time, so paid for the mathco as
> an add-on option).  IIRC, POV-Ray at the time would take advantage of a
> math coprocessor if it was present.
>
> Jim

Wish my memory was as good as yours. On a more positive note, I actually found
the files in an old zip file stashed away on my work PC. Funny to re-trace this
image now, I think it took about 2 weeks to draw on my 386-SX 33Mhz PC at
320x240 and even with AA0.05 now is only 1m49s on my current PC. I did not even
need to make any code changes (a couple of version comments had to be removed as
this was for version 2.0).

Glad to have revived it without needing to buy a USB floppy drive.

I am sure this was not my very first image but it was the first proper one I
created once I had learnt how to use POV.

Sean

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'skel.jpg' (104 KB)