POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Uniqueness : Re: Uniqueness Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:28:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Uniqueness
From: nemesis
Date: 22 Jul 2011 02:40:00
Message: <web.4e291a456061de3a273b877e0@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> On 18/07/2011 02:06 PM, Francois Labreque wrote:
>
> > Creativity is not handed out evenly among the population. Not all great
> > musicians are made to ge great composers (and vice-versa), not all
> > actors are made to be great playwrights, etc...
>
> It takes a special kind of genius to create a truly /great/ work. But
> I'd settle for being able to create merely "average" works, really.
>
> Apparently writing a short musical composition is considered so easy
> that it's an exam requirement for certain musical qualifications...

I too feel bad for just knowing a bit of piano playing -- let alone musical
composition or at least improvisation.  I once felt like I one day would be able
to handle all of Beethoven's sonatas... Now  I'm glad that I can play at least
Moonlight's first movement. :p

Aging makes us humble.  In any case, music playing and music composition
ironically require different skill sets: in one you should keep as close to the
written score as possible, in the other you should embellish and improve on the
few notes in the sketch as possible.

At the very least, as of late I've been finding myself more and more drawn to
poetry.  This was quite unexpected to be honest:  I was never fond of the genre
but has found its vivid wordplaying in a metric structure to be surprisingly
easy and enjoyful for my programmatic mind. Thus, I've been reading and writing
quite a lot of it.  Needless to say, I mostly despise
unrhymed poetry as much as atonal music.