POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tombstone in night : Re: Tombstone in night Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:29:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tombstone in night
From: Timo Poikola
Date: 15 Jul 2011 18:55:00
Message: <web.4e20c461b552852ff1a674c50@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:

> Nice, but the font is not adapted to carving. (thin & thick: not good)
>
> Anno Domini is usually spelled "A.D."
> Month is missing, as well as name. Even a child dead on birth would have
> a name. (it has been christened, otherwise no "obiit", hence a name is
> missing... a cross instead of a skull is also more appropriate (but will
> not be politically-correct... Muslim would have written in Arabic, Jews
> in Hebraic, so it is not already politically correct anyway)

Texts for this stone are loaned from book Turun latinnkieliset
piirtokirjoitukset (Latin inscriptions of Turku). Most text examples and photos
in this book are from medieval tombs or churches. In some reason, cross is
virtually nonexistent symbol in these photos, but other symbols, i.e. skull,
hourglass and seal are present.

> The stone need a texture scaled down (it look so far as a toy)

Ok.

> Is there a lamp around, as the lighting is not symetrical to the candle
> (and far too strong for a candle)

Yes. There is one area light in left. Lightning is really hard (to me) in this
scene. I want do a night in autumn, but text should be readable and so on. Maybe
full moon and slight fog will do the trick.

> Latin on tombstone, but USA's tombstone (or english ?): european
> tombstone would have a stone to cover the grave cut. If fresh, the grave
> backfill would be visible as delimitation of the burial, until the cover
> stone is done.
> Cheap tomb could get gravel instead of cover stone, but at least the
> gravel would be in a delimited box.

Old looking stone is hard part too. Because this stone is a CSG object, all
corners and edges are mathematically perfect. I can add micronormals and do some
other things to get ancient looking stone, but I don't know what is best way
modify sharp edges.

> The tree near the tombstone made it USA. May be a private grave ? (as
> there is no path nearby, and no other stones)

Well, in Finland most graveyards have trees too.

Actually, I want that this picture mood is "autumn, night, unpleasant ancient
private tomb in middle of nowhere".