POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Comment by Tavis Smiley while interviewing Cedric The Entertainer : Re: Comment by Tavis Smiley while interviewing Cedric The Entertainer Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:23:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Comment by Tavis Smiley while interviewing Cedric The Entertainer
From: Charles C
Date: 9 Jul 2011 18:45:00
Message: <web.4e18d9465b52bd6cac4259f0@news.povray.org>
andrel <byt### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> "C" being the intersection of the set of everybody thinking that if you
> leave money in the vicinity of a black man, he will steal it, and the
> set of TV bosses. Right?

I think we have no way to know exactly who he meant other than every listener
making their own guess.  So I don't think we can define "C" narrowly like this.
If I were a white, non-racist TV boss, I might think he's talking about me.  If
everybody knows that they aren't part "C", and that "C" just means those who are
guilty of being a racist TV boss, then sure, nobody will feel accused.

To be honest I am not personally or directly offended so much as I am interested
in the "wait, did he actually say that", and when / why people can make such
remarks.

On the other hand, if you want to make the point that it's just one little
comment; don't blow it out of proportion, I agree.  I think that too many things
get blown out of proportion.  Everybody says stupid things.  I've just been
typing more than I expected to here because I felt like my original point wasn't
communicated well.

Charles