POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is there such a thing? : Re: Is there such a thing? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:25:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is there such a thing?
From: Mike the Elder
Date: 7 Jul 2011 10:25:01
Message: <web.4e15bf5b6683a2fe85627c70@news.povray.org>
Jim Holsenback <nom### [at] nomailcom> wrote:
> OK ... scrolling through the Icecast Directory and I see this
> station/listing for "Classic Rap". Is there really such a thing, and if
> the answer is yes, I think I'll just go ahead a shoot myself ;-)

I, too, am often annoyed with the inappropriate over-usage of the term
"Classic".  "Classic Coke" was the one that really got to me.

Although the rap genre has never been a personal favorite of mine, the form did
have, in its origins, a certain type of authenticity. It was genuinely "music
from the streets" wherein people who didn't have access to music studios or
expensive instruments gave expression to what they were actually experiencing
and feeling.  It is understandable to me that someone might want to
differentiate between this older form and the stuff the music industry
conglomerates have been manufacturing and marketing ever since rap developed a
large popular following.  Still, I think a more appropriate adjective than
"Classic" could be found.

Best Regards,
Mike C.