POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Comment by Tavis Smiley while interviewing Cedric The Entertainer : Comment by Tavis Smiley while interviewing Cedric The Entertainer Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:33:31 EDT (-0400)
  Comment by Tavis Smiley while interviewing Cedric The Entertainer
From: Charles C
Date: 6 Jul 2011 11:15:00
Message: <web.4e147ade2948acf7cac4259f0@news.povray.org>
I haven't posted here in a while (POV-Ray is one of three main hobbies I rotate
through, and lately I've been focused on RC planes.) Anyway, I couldn't believe
I heard him say it and had to share this observation:

This is Tavis Smiley interviewing Cedric The Entertainer.  8:50-8:59 will give
you the context.  The statement made by Tavis at 9:00 has been edited to remove
two words.  His statement used to be racist but they edited it to make it no
longer racist.    http://video.pbs.org/video/2042179615/

The quote:
Tavis Smiley:  "See I'm just, I'm just impressed that [they let] a black man
host{s} a show when there's fifty million dollars on the stage."

What's in the square brackets [] is what has been removed.  What's in the curly
brackets {} is what should have been added to give the edit proper grammar.

Tavis's original statement is racist because it suggests that whoever "they"
are, would normally distrust a black man because he is black.

I can't tell so far by looking at the video that it's been edited, but I clearly
heard the missing words on the over-the-air broadcast.

Cedric's response is also evidence of the edit since it fits even better with
Tavis's original statement than with the edited statement.

Thanks,
Charles