POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Kitchen : Re: Kitchen Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:20:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kitchen
From: s day
Date: 25 Jun 2011 01:00:01
Message: <web.4e056b2c86801af1988b44580@news.povray.org>
"jhu" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Took a long time to render and I keep getting close to the memory limit for my
> computer. A few radiosity issues mostly because of issues running out of memory,
> but it's good enough for now.

Some great CSG modelling, like you say a few radiosity issues but aside from
that not much to suggest. I think the textures on the wall and floor look a
little bit grainy for my liking, could be intentional or could be quality
settings. I think the grapes look too solid (they look more like olives than
grapes). They should be slightly translucent, I think just adding a second
diffuse value (e.g. diffuse 0.6 0.4) would help but really should be a full
material e.g.

  material {
         texture {
         pigment { rgbt <0.45, 0.8, 0.1, 0.2> }
         finish {
                specular 0.2
                roughness 0.01
                diffuse 0.6 0.4
                reflection { 0.002, 0.0001 }
                }
         normal { dents 0.2 scale 0.01 }
        }
        interior {
                ior 3
                fade_power 1001
                fade_distance 0.5
                fade_color <0.2, 0.3, 0.1>
        }

  }

was used to generate the attached rather spherical grapes.

I am no expert and have no idea what the correct ior would be for a grape (or if
 you should even be using this for grapes) but I think the effect looks more
realistic. Also you would need to adjust the fade_distance and probably colours
(I think your grape colour is better).

I like the rug, it is a difficult object/effect to model and looks really good.

Sean

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'grapes.jpg' (116 KB)