POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Persistence of Vision : Re: Persistence of Vision Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:23:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Persistence of Vision
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 7 Jun 2011 15:25:00
Message: <web.4dee7ae79fd34d3e76c90de10@news.povray.org>
Jim Holsenback <nom### [at] nomailcom> wrote:
> On 06/06/2011 08:59 PM, clipka wrote:
> > Am 07.06.2011 01:40, schrieb Jim Holsenback:
> >
> >> Question about pretrace_end ... won't a smaller value make more of the
> >> samples to be gathered in the final pass? I thought it was better to
> >> shoot for having the final pass sample count about half the total.
> >
> > No. The smaller the pretrace_end, the higher the density the pretrace
> > can theoretically produce, and the fewer therefore the spots missed
> > during pretrace, which need to be sampled in the final pass (i.e. the
> > render proper).
> >
> > (Theoretically we'd want the final pass sample count to be zero, but
> > then we also want the render to finish in our lifetime.)
>
> in addition to earlier changes I had to increase count to 384 ... it's
> not too darn bad, so I think it's worth the cycles to go to 512 for the
> beauty run. btw: I also corrected my (holy crap) spelling error in the sign.

Hey Jim,

It's looking good!

Is the water messing with the radiosity? If so--and you don't plan to have
anything reflect in the water--you might be able to use an aoi pattern with a
texture_map, using careful color settings to fake fresnel reflections.

You might also want to try the new version of OTO.inc I dropped in
p.b.scene-files. I improved the size variation of the bricks and trimmed up the
edges.

~Sam