POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The greatest knowledge... : Re: The greatest knowledge... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:23:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The greatest knowledge...
From: nemesis
Date: 7 Jun 2011 08:10:01
Message: <web.4dee14aaa4238ea59a1bcfb90@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> On 07/06/2011 11:40 AM, Warp wrote:
>
> >    Microsoft, the fourth most profitable company in the world, and they
> > whine and moan about Linux's market share and how free software is killing
> > the industry.
>
> And, curiously, they *don't* seem to be complaining about Apple, which
> looks like a waaaay bigger threat from where I'm sitting...

Apple is more like a commercial partner or a branch of their business focusing
on niche markets.  They share the very same monopolistic and individual freedoms
suppression of one another.

I heard recently that Apple now wants your iTunes music to be in the "cloud",
which is just a poetic euphemism for their server.  So, you see, not only you
don't have anymore any physical property over music, books and movies you buy --
you only have a license to consume it from some devices for god-only knows how
long -- as you also will quickly run out of batteries from all network streaming
to your mobile device.  Pretty dumb move, I'd say.  And yet, cattle people are
gladly running for it, sharing the LSD vision of scumbag Jobs...

> >    The only rational response to that is STFU.
>
> Uh, yeah.
>
> Also, FWIW, there /are/ companies trying to make money out of Linux. I
> don't see any of them in this list. (I might have expected Novell to
> make an appearence, but since they got rid of Jim I guess they're not
> doing so well...)

Novell has been bought by some dummy division of M$, which is what usually
happens with companies shaking hands with the devil.  A nice stab in the back.
But, hey, at least Novell clients are protected from all M$ IP and patents in
Linux, right?

This post brought to you by bile industries.